Help Lighthouse Louisiana to build a better tomorrow for our students with vision impairment, while living in an exciting city with food, fun, and festivals galore.
Lighthouse Louisiana is seeking a Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired who is eager to use his/her skills and creativity to provide itinerant vision services and to develop youth programs for children with vision loss in the Greater New Orleans area.
Lighthouse Louisiana is dedicated to ensuring that our youth are receiving well-rounded opportunities to learn through quality instruction and play. Our programs expand beyond the classroom to include Goal Ball, recreation, transition skills training, and a summer camp. If you want to make a difference in the lives of children who are blind in a holistic environment with an interdisciplinary team, contact Lighthouse Louisiana today.
SUMMARY: The Teacher for the Visually Impaired is responsible for providing itinerant services to students who are served under contract with schools in the Greater New Orleans area. In addition, TVI duties include collaboration with VRS team members to provide extra-curricular activities for skill development through transition, recreation, and summer camp programs.
- Develop a strong working relationship with key staff of the public, charter, and recovery schools in the Greater New Orleans area.
- Work closely with parents of visually impaired students and advocate for services in the school system.
- Provide quality TVI services to area schools under contract with Lighthouse Louisiana to optimize opportunities for success for their students with vision impairment.
- Collaborate with educators and other professional staff to develop comprehensive Individual Education Programs (IEP).
- Diligently follow all IEP goals and attend IEP meetings to ensure the successful provision of services.
- Monitor progress and amend IEP goals as needed to promote clear and open communication with teachers, Special Education Coordinators, school Administrators, and parents.
- Provide assistance to teachers and support staff within the schools that may need additional training or information to follow through with IEP recommendations.
- Provide instruction to students in Nemeth-code, Braille, and assistive technology to support successful learning of academic subjects.
- Collaborate with Youth team members to create and implement programs that will enhance development of social, recreational, and life skills.
- Collaborate with team members to plan and implement an annual summer program for blind youth.
- Complete daily documentation and subsequent reports in Apricot as directed by the VP of VRS to support requirements for reimbursement from all school contracts and additional funding sources.
- Accurately document daily time and mileage. Submit mileage reports monthly for reimbursement.
- Foster a team environment with effective communication and a coordinated approach to providing vision rehabilitation services.
- Participate in community outreach and educational events as needed.